Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Coming Distractions

The first show's not even done yet, but I'm already figuring out what kinds of special shows I'd like to do this summer and fall. Here's what's on the drawing board. I've been casting around for rare tracks from local and regional bands for a special archival show sometime this summer. I've already got some good stuff, but I'll tell more about this when it gets closer to happening. Some other special shows probably coming soon: a Dylan Anthology show with all unreleased tracks, maybe a British Invasion special with some rare and not generally heard live and studio tracks showcasing the hard underground stuff out at the time that didn't get heard much on the radio, yet another Beatles unreleased tracks show, a rarities show of some sort with live broadcasts, rare tracks downloaded from bands' sites and other aracana, perhaps also a show with early music from the 20s, 30s, and 40s that kicks ass. My second show will have a sneak preview of what I have in mind for this. I want to continue to do some live performance shows. Some artists on my wish list would include Forrest Whitlow, Howard Iceberg, Joel Kraft, the Midday Ramblers, The Border Band, and the Wilders. I also want to do some live jazz, which I never got around to when I did the show the first time. If you're a local artist or band and you'd like to get me copies of your work, send it to Signal to Noise c/o KKFI. You can find the station's address at www.kkfi.org. I can handle cds, mp3s, cassette tapes, DAT tapes, vinyl, most any form you can put music on I can deal with. If you want to play live on my show be aware that I can't do electric stuff as a rule. I used to be able to, but the station is essentially down to two mics in the on-air studio for live performances, so that limits my options, unfortunately. One of the other things I like to do is collaborate on shows with musicians, artists, and other DJs. In the past I've done shows with Gary Kirkland, Mike Ireland, writers David Cantwell and Tim Finn, djs Lonesome Cowboy Bill, Jennifer Field, Lord Spencer Drake, my wife, Caroline Lee, (or Mullen as she was known then) and others. I'll do this again, of course. Probably my soul brother Lonesome Cowboy Bill and I will do something soon. We have been known to show up on free form slots on KJHK between semesters at KU since I'm an alumni dj there. So stay tuned. The best is yet to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home