Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Goodbye, Ron

I was saddened to hear of the untimely death of Ron Rooks this morning. For those of you who don't know, Ron was the long-time proprietor of the Music Exchange, one of the country's best used record stores. I spent lots of time in his store both at it's old location and when he moved to larger quarters on Broadway. The last time I spoke to him was at the Blasters concert. He told me that he was working on compiling a box set of material from his most recent band, Three Businessmen. I expressed my regrets that I hadn't had time to visit his new location in the bottoms yet and we agreed to get together soon. He had always wanted me to do a show with him at KKFI and he had bought some dj time last year, but I was still gone from the station at that point and couldn't do it with him. I'm sure there's lots of folks out there that have some great and not so great memories of Ron. I'm getting ready to leave town for two weeks, so will not be able to pay tribute to him until I get back. I'll try and do a show that he would have liked. He was one of KC's colorful gentlemen, and I think , in time, he'll be remembered as fondly as Piney Brown, Milton Morris, Ben Asner, and other larger than life characters that graced this town. My condolences to his wife Nancy, and his two lovely children.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home